Every time I build a WordPress theme with _s and integrate it with EDD, I do a couple of hours of dirty work. No more. All the dirty work is done here in this starter theme.
Underscores for EDD Features
- Page templates for default EDD pages as well as a members area template
- Grid-ready store front template for digital downloads created in EDD
- Theme customizer options built to customize EDD output as well as regular blog settings
- EDD-specific sidebar for download pages with download information at the top of the sidebar
- Full _s CSS reset and basic starter styles in place
- Full-width HTML structure built in instead of the page-width _s ships with – see “Structure” section of
style.cssto see the CSS and see the
footer.phpfiles to see the full-width HTML structure in place.
- HTML layout CSS (content/sidebar) as well as and its corresponding responsive CSS already written to include responsive menu toggle
- Font Awesome files already built in and ready to use
<i>tags from Font Awesome with no additional work
Underscores for EDD Screenshots
Basic, styleless theme ready for customization
Store front page template – download archives/categories/tags
Single download page with sidebar download information
Basic customizer settings for the main site
Additional customizer options for store front/download archives customization
If you know how to use _s, you know how to use this starter theme. The same is true if you know how to use your browser inspector. CSS is really all that’s missing.
The theme uses the slug
sdm throughout the files. Do a case-sensitive search and replace in every file to use your own theme slug. Change the theme name in the
style.css file as well as the
rtl.css file. In the
functions.php file, be sure to change the definitions. They start with
SDM_ and because they are all caps, your case-sensitive search and replace didn’t catch them.
In the languages directory, change the name of the
.pot file to match your slug. And of course, name the theme folder whatever you’d like.
With that done, you’re ready to activate the theme and write some CSS. It’s that easy.
GNU General Public License v2 or later: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
Feel free to fork the repo on Github and submit pull requests if you’d like to make contributions to the theme.
* Tweak: Word-wrap for HTML <pre> tag to allow scrolling
* Tweak: Customizer setting descriptions, terminology, and sanitization
* Fix: Download taxonomy pagination
* Fix: Site footer customizer option
* Tweak: improved translation strings and updated language files
* New: sanitization for theme customizer user input
* Tweak: style adjustments to EDD product grid for uneven (vertically) products
* Tweak: remove empty markup when no store title and description is used
* first stable release